As our road trip is coming to an end, let me present part 2 of our Northern Safari!
Our drive to Alaska was beautiful and we were lucky enough to see plenty of wildlife. Check out the ones we were able to snag photos of!
The Alaskan Highway starts in Dawson Creek in British Columbia and was built in only 8 months during World War II by the Canadian and the US armies.
Kyler’s 30th birthday celebration was a bit of a different one. It was the two of us in the most beautiful location one can imagine.
The celebratory birthday flags were already swaying in the slight breeze as we woke up in the early morning. A full day of birthday fun was about to commence!
We kept ourselves busy and the day went by fast:
– Jungle cabin birthday breakfast: Kyler had requested bacon (he really is Canadian) and pancakes. A bit of a weird combo if you ask me, but it was not my birthday!
– Gifts: One of the gifts I got Kyler was a Nixon Supertide surf watch. It has 230 beaches (including Pavones) with corresponding high- and low tide information programmed into it. It is a really cool, little thing! Unfortunately, the watch does not create waves!
– Walks on the beach (Are we getting old?)
– Lunch with beer(s)
– Frisbee fun
– Swimming and frolicking (Never too old!)
– Bird- and wildlife sightings: The usual monkeys, as well as a wild array of birds. Even our untrained eyes could point out 20-30 different types.
– Hammock time: One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Wildlife sightings can also be done from hammock.
– Dinner time: As it turned out, we got take out.. Not exactly as planned on the big birthday, but when the restaurant we had eyed out was closed and the second one (of two in town) did not serve celebratory drinks, we improvised! We brought the food home and had it with wine, music and jungle sounds.
Traveling, being active, having fun – What a great way to start a new decade! Happy Birthday, Kyler!